Sunday, February 27, 2011

One Mission Graduate's Words about his Church, Wayside and Stewardship

Finding My Place in Stewardship by J. P. Hardy



By My Turn... - Posted on 18 October 2010
Going through the recovery process at Wayside Christian Mission allowed me to humble myself a great deal, Which empowered me with the willingness to grow as a Christian. I believe if I had completed the recovery process anywhere else, I would have missed the spiritual part of the program. In being able to accept and love myself, I was able to do the same for others. Prior to recovery, I either thought that I was better than you or that you thought you were better than me. I never could see others eye to eye. As my spirit awakened as the result of the Steps, I began to feel a sense of equality. I began to gain interest in my fellow man and my Creator. Feeling like a part of the community at Highland Baptist Church has opened me up as a person and as a Christian. I am more comfortable in larger groups. Being a part of my community has allowed me the opportunity to recognize the needs of others and why it is important to give back to the community.

I've learned over the last 18 months that it is much more fulfilling to give than to receive. When I began attending Friday Church, I came for myself to help myself. Once God empowered me, I realized the importance of giving back... to the community, to the Church, to support OUR Church. We are the Church. The sense of camaraderie I feel on Friday evenings when the guys from Wayside jump of the bus and greet me and tell me how their week went is indescribable. At this time I feel whole. As a church community, we make up one body... the body of Christ.

Billy Graham was quoted as saying, "A checkbook is a theological document. It will tell you who and what you worship." You see, I'm a person who used to worship my possessions, but after living in a homeless shelter for 15 months and being stripped bare of what I then considered necessities, I was able to realign my priorities to better serve God. This made me a much happier person and free from burden. Technology that is designed to make our lives easier can over-complicate things and become a burden, especially if it affects the decisions we make. Give generously because money does not make you happy, and they don't put luggage racks on coffins either! Or if you are like me and do not have much money and are already giving as much as you can to your church, do not fret. Be creative! There are many other ways to give to the Church and to serve God and to empower your community!

Peace.